This chicken taco recipe is one of my children's favorite meals and the longest to make! It's the longest slow cooker dish because you get distracted and then dump all the ingredients in, turn it on and come back to the best tasting meal! Lots of prep, tons of distractions, freezes well and the kids love it!
If you have time this dish goes well with rice, tortilla chips, sprinkle on some cheddar cheese, or spice it up with some jalapeno peppers.
PREP TIME: 2+ hours
TOTAL TIME: 16+ hours
The longest slow cooker dish because you get distracted and then dump all the ingredients in, turn it on and come back to the best tasting meal!
1 small onion, chopped
1 can black beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn kernels
2 cans diced tomatoes w/chilies (You do not have this. You use crushed tomatoes instead)
1 half eaten large carrot and yellow pepper that the kids did not finish from yesterday
1 tbsp each of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, oregano
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
DISTRACTIONS: Sprinkle these throughout the entire preparation process.
- It's summer break and the kids are home running around getting drinks and snacks, so you have to get out of their way each time they enter the kitchen.
- Remember that you need to pay bills. You get the bills and put them next to computer. This is when you notice that you have new email and you spend the next 5 minutes reading your email and the next 20 minutes looking at Facebook.
- Remember that you need to ask a client a question and make a note.
- Children enter kitchen and tell you that they are hungry. Stop everything and make them chicken noodle soup. Wait for it to boil. Poor the soup into two large mugs and add a few cubs of ice to it because it is too hot. Give to children to eat. Children taste the soup and yell loudly that the soup is too hot and demand ice. You apologize, try to explain that you did add ice. They continue to insist that it is still too hot and get their own cubes of ice.
- Doorbell rings, go to the closet to put on a sweater because you are still in your pajamas. Open the door to see the UPS person getting back into truck and driving away. Open the box that was delivered and find the new pop screen for your microphone. Take the next 5 minutes to read the instructions and then the next 30 minutes to install said mic. Give up because you can't understand the directions.
- Husband is getting ready for work. He takes a moment (45 minutes) to catch-up with you before leaving. You give him a kiss and hug, then tell him to kick-butt before he leaves. (Sweet!)
- As you are cutting the onion the kids are back to tell on each other. Now you are sniffling, wiping your eyes on your shoulder, somehow get juice form the onion in your eye, turn on the water in the kitchen sink, try washing your hands, wipe you very runny nose on your shirt, grab a paper towel, wet the paper towel, press the cool wet paper towel to juicy onion-eye, wiping nose on shirt again and again. Mind you this whole time the kids have been yelling at each other and at you to do something. Through burning, teary eyes and a nose that will not stop, you tell them both to, "STOP". One marches off to their room the other slinks down in the kitchen chair. After tending to your eye and nose you sit with the child in the kitchen and listen to what they have to say. You say something like, "I can see why you were frustrated. Why don't you use your calm words next time you are frustrated." We then rehearse what those words could be. You go to the other child and sit on their bed while you find out their side of the story. You repeat what you did with the first child. Then you have the children come together to workout their differences. They each smile and make plans for the fort that they are going to build, as they run to the basement. You go back to chopping the onion.
- You are drinking a lot of water so you are having to make a lot of bathroom breaks. On one of your trips to the bathroom you notice that there are clothes on the floor, in one of your child's room. You go in and pick up the clothes and put them in the hamper. While you are there you notice the bed is unmade. You make the bed. You notice an empty cup. You put the empty cup in the sink. You then go into your other child's room to check on their room as well. Same things need to be done to that room. You go back to the kitchen and continue to chop the carrot. Half way through you remember that you never went to the bathroom. You go to the bathroom.
- Please feel free to add any distraction that is personal to you.
Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, carrot, yellow pepper, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes or diced tomato, cumin, chili powder and the rest of the seasonings in a slow cooker and mix well.
Add the chicken in,completely cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred.
Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in.
Top with your favorite toppings!